DEVOTION
GENESIS
HERE I AM
Gen 27:1-4
27:1 When Isaac was old and his
eyes were so weak that he could no longer see, he called for Esau his older son
and said to him, "My son." "Here I am," he answered. 2
Isaac said, "I am now an old man and don't know the day of my death. 3 Now
then, get your weapons — your quiver and bow — and go out to the open country
to hunt some wild game for me. 4 Prepare me the kind of tasty food I like and
bring it to me to eat, so that I may give you my blessing before I die."
NIV
This marks the beginning of
Jacob's deception at Rebekah's direction, though she acted on the LORD's
word that the older would serve the younger. She knew in her heart that Jacob
was to be the leader, the one who should receive the father's blessing, for he
had already received the Father's blessing. But we are not at that point in this
long narrative about Isaac's blessing of his firstborn. However, Isaac does
send for his son Esau, whom he loved, and sends him out to kill some wild game
and prepare a tasty meal for him. Our
story is about the father's call and the son's response. Of course, we could go
to the call of our Heavenly Father and Jesus's, the Son's, response. Our Heavenly
Father sent Jesus to gather his people to himself, in the same sense that Isaac
sent his son to gather him a tasty meal. When Isaac called for Esau, he answered, "Here
I am." When God called Moses from the burning bush, Moses answered, "Here
I am." When God called Samuel, he answered, "Here I am." In one of his
psalms, David responded, "Here I am." The writer of Hebrews repeats those words, but
they refer to Jesus telling his Father, "Here I am; I have come to do your will."
But the personal story is about us being called the sons of God. When our
Father calls, we have only one proper response: "Here I am." As we respond
to God's call on our lives, we also need to complete that statement as we
follow Jesus by adding, "I have come to do your will." What good is
being a son or daughter of God Most High if it is just for the blessings we can
get? Would we be like Peter, asking, "What's in it for me?" We wonder
whether we are more concerned about our lives than about God's will for our
lives. We know he has a plan and purpose for us, and maybe sometimes we do
things in what we think is right, but that might not be his plan, but ours. If
we are seeking first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, we have only one
correct response: "Here I am; I have come to do your will."
No comments:
Post a Comment