DEVOTION
GENESIS
A PRECIOUS GIFT
Gen 24:39-54
39 "Then I asked my master,
'What if the woman will not come back with me?' 40 "He replied, 'The LORD,
before whom I have walked, will send his angel with you and make your journey a
success, so that you can get a wife for my son from my own clan and from my
father's family. 41 Then, when you go to my clan, you will be released from my
oath even if they refuse to give her to you — you will be released from my
oath.' 42 "When I came to the spring today, I said, 'O LORD, God of my
master Abraham, if you will, please grant success to the journey on which I
have come. 43 See, I am standing beside this spring; if a maiden comes out to
draw water and I say to her, "Please let me drink a little water from your
jar," 44 and if she says to me, "Drink, and I'll draw water for your
camels too," let her be the one the LORD has chosen for my master's son.' 45
"Before I finished praying in my heart, Rebekah came out, with her jar on
her shoulder. She went down to the spring and drew water, and I said to her,
'Please give me a drink.' 46 "She quickly lowered her jar from her
shoulder and said, 'Drink, and I'll water your camels too.' So I drank, and she
watered the camels also. 47 "I asked her, 'Whose daughter are you?' "She
said, 'The daughter of Bethuel son of Nahor, whom Milcah bore to him.' "Then
I put the ring in her nose and the bracelets on her arms, 48 and I bowed down
and worshiped the LORD. I praised the LORD, the God of my master Abraham, who
had led me on the right road to get the granddaughter of my master's brother
for his son. 49 Now if you will show kindness and faithfulness to my master,
tell me; and if not, tell me, so I may know which way to turn." 50 Laban
and Bethuel answered, "This is from the LORD; we can say nothing to you
one way or the other. 51 Here is Rebekah; take her and go, and let her become
the wife of your master's son, as the LORD has directed." 52 When
Abraham's servant heard what they said, he bowed down to the ground before the
LORD. 53 Then the servant brought out gold and silver jewelry and articles of
clothing and gave them to Rebekah; he also gave costly gifts to her brother and
to her mother. 54 Then he and the men who were with him ate and drank and spent
the night there.
NIV
Abraham's servant recounts the
events at the well, telling Laban it was the LORD's work. He finally asked
for a yes-or-no answer so he would know what to do next. Laban agrees that his
sister should be Isaac's wife, and Abraham's servant responds by bowing down to
the ground before the LORD. How gracious the LORD was to Abraham's servant. Was
it because he was the servant of his master? Was the LORD gracious to the
servant because he served Abraham, whom the LORD had promised that he would
have a son, and his descendants would be as numerous as the stars? Was the LORD simply gracious to the servant
for being faithful to his master? What we know is that the LORD has been
gracious before, was gracious at this time, and has been gracious to us. The LORD's
faithfulness has never been in question, for he has been and will always be faithful
to his word. He has shown his kindness and faithfulness to Abraham's servant,
and he has always bowed down before the LORD, being thankful for the hand of the
LORD working for the good of his master. We do not serve an earthly master,
although if we are employed, we are responsible for serving our employer
faithfully and working diligently for his benefit. However, we do serve our heavenly
Father, although he is also our master, as he is the Master of the Universe, the
Great I AM, who created all that is created, and formed Adam from the dust of
the earth, and breathed life into his lungs. Yet, he also formed us within our mother's
womb, knowing us before we were ever formed. How could we not respond by bowing
down to the ground in complete reverence, with a heart of thankfulness for his
wonderful grace, mercy, compassion, love, and faithfulness to us? Because the
LORD was gracious to Laban and approved Rebekah as Isaac's wife, the servant gave
precious gifts to Rebekah, her brother, and her mother. However, what precious gift can we give to the
one who gave us life? How can we give the LORD any gift that is worthy of the
LORD? The only gift we can give is ourselves, to present ourselves as a living sacrifice
to our Lord for his grace toward us. We are the only precious gift we can give
him.
No comments:
Post a Comment