DEVOTION
GENESIS
THE NAME CHANGE
Gen 17:1-8
17:1 When Abram was ninety-nine
years old, the LORD appeared to him and said, "I am God Almighty; walk
before me and be blameless. 2 I will confirm my covenant between me and you and
will greatly increase your numbers." 3 Abram fell facedown, and God said
to him, 4 "As for me, this is my covenant with you: You will be the father
of many nations. 5 No longer will you be called Abram; your name will be
Abraham, for I have made you a father of many nations. 6 I will make you very
fruitful; I will make nations of you, and kings will come from you. 7 I will
establish my covenant as an everlasting covenant between me and you and your
descendants after you for the generations to come, to be your God and the God
of your descendants after you. 8 The whole land of Canaan, where you are now an
alien, I will give as an everlasting possession to you and your descendants
after you; and I will be their God."
NIV
Who would not fall face down if God
Almighty showed up and appeared to us? And yet, here we are with God Almighty,
the Holy Spirit dwelling within us, and we walk around as normal, doing our
daily stuff, as if nothing special is happening, even in our religious world.
Abram fell face down, and the great I AM, God Almighty, tells him to walk
before him and be blameless. We know we are blameless because of the blood of
Jesus, but we cannot be sure our daily walk is blameless, for we still struggle
with the self and its flaws as we allow various temptations to influence our
attitudes and behaviors. The LORD God Almighty confirmed his covenant with Abram
and changed his name to Abraham. We know Abraham means father of many nations,
but the facts surrounding a covenant are impressive. Historically, when two men
made a treaty, or covenant, with each other, especially a blood covenant, they
would exchange middle names, the middle letter of their name, cut their palms
and bind them with two ropes. Within the language of Abram, God's name would
have been spelled JHHW, unpronounceable, unspoken because that name is too
holy, too righteous. However, when God Almighty appeared to Abram to confirm
the covenant, he placed one of the middle letters of his name into Abram's
name, making it AbraHam. That is so awesome, yet God Almighty, the great I AM, through
his Son, Jesus, has made a new covenant with us, and the proof is that he poured
out His Spirit upon us, filling us with his presence. Now we have the grace of
God, his divine influence upon our hearts, and we should be reflecting that in
our daily lives. God gave the land of Canaan as an everlasting possession to Abraham
and his descendants, and He promised to be their God. We have the promise
of Jesus, the promise of the Holy Spirit as an everlasting presence in our lives, but we are His possessions, and He is
still our God. He changed our names from self to son, or sinner to saint.
No comments:
Post a Comment